Month: June 2015

CURRENT PROJECTS: THE PRESIDENT’S HOUSE DISPLAY

The library archival staff has been hard at work preparing a display on the President’s House, which was lost in a fire in January 2015. The display was exhibited in the library’s circulation area, along with several items recovered from the house before it was demolished. The display has temporarily been moved to the Lackland Center for the 2015 Scholarship Gala.

Staff members researched a detailed history of the house, from its start in the 1890s to its loss earlier this year. Two staff members took a trip to Morristown to learn about the history of the Gilded Age, an era marked by stark social contrasts, when the house that would become the President’s House was built. [A history of the President’s House can be found here]

The display board has 12 panels that track the history of the house. Panels are dedicated to different periods of the house’s life.

display board full

The first side of the display board chronicles the ‘pre-history’ of the house, starting with the Gilded Age and the wealthy residents of Morristown. Brightstowe, the house that would become the President’s House, was originally located in Normandy Heights and was disassembled in 1911 to make way for Thorne Oaks, a mansion that still stands today under the name Gateways.

The next side of the display focuses on the years between 1911 and 1945, after the Hoffman family rebuilt the house in Hackettstown, and until the college purchased the home. As Centenary’s enrollment grew, more student rooms were needed, and the president and various faculty members who had lived in the Main Building moved to Hackettstown houses and apartments.

display board side 2

The third side of the display recounts the heyday of the house – when it was used for parties and other college functions. President Seay held a monthly Birthday Tea for students, and often visiting guests would be hosted in receptions at the house. The house was also part of a historic walking tour of Hackettstown.

The final side of the display board focuses on the fire that destroyed the house and plans for the future of the property. At the moment the college is hoping to build on the same footprint and will need to submit plans for a new structure to the Zoning Board and the Historic Commission. ­

display board side 3display board side 4Although some items are quite damaged from the fire, others are in excellent condition. Facilities employees took care to clean several items before delivering things to the library. These items will be stored along with other pieces of Centenary history in the Taylor Memorial Library Archives.

regina music box plate close-up

This plate came from a Regina music box rescued from the fire. Listen to it play here

charred dish and knife

A plate and knife. Other dishes from this set have been cleaned.

tableware from pres. house

Dishes and a teacup from another set of plateware.

historical property plate

This plaque used to adorn the house.

Hundreds of hours of hard work were poured into this exhibit, and the Taylor Memorial Library is very pleased to be able to make it available to the Centenary community.

Advertisements

Whitney Lyceum

A History of the Whits from 1904

A History of the Whitney Lyceum

Whit Pin

The Whits Pin

Whits Title Page

WhitneyLyceumWhitneyLyffgc

eum

The Whits' meeting room, 5th floor of "Old Main"

The Whits’ meeting room, 5th floor of “Old Main”

Created by: W. M. Trumbower, J. H. Stitzer, C.S. Benedict, H. H. Rusby & A. C. Van Syckle

Year Introduced: September 1874

Colors: Royal Purple and Gold

Secret Letters: V.N.A.F

Society Paper: The Lancet

Nickname: The Whits

The Whits of 1904

The Whits of 1904

Whitney Lyceum’s first Inauguration Programme was also the first public performance for the Institute! In the 1890s, Whitney Lyceum and Diokosophian combined Ann’s to decrease the time and money each society spent for their program.

fireorg1899

In 1910, the school graduated its last coed class and the Whitney Lyceum held its last meeting after being in existence for 36 years.

A history of all Literary Societies of Centenary College can be found here