This year marks the 150th anniversary of the charter of Centenary University! To celebrate, the blog will be highlighting past posts about Centenary’s history.
Centenary University is lucky to have so many people devoted to its success – this is as true now as it was 150 years ago. Several of these people have been profiled in this blog, and here are a few that you might want to revisit!
President George Whitney – Here was a man who devoted his whole life to the institute; he campaigned tirelessly for the school to be opened, was its first president (and served the school for 26 years in that capacity!) and even after retiring he still maintained a close relationship with the Centenary community. He was a member of the Board of Trustees and was also appointed interim president in 1902 after the resignation of President McCormick. As the Class of 1884 said about him, “Every student was uplifted by his splendid leadership and his patient willing service. He inspired the highest and best in us.” Learn about him here, here, and here.
George Denman – “His life is gentle, and the elements so mixed in him, that nature might arise, and say to all the world: This is a man.” He was Director of Athletics, Latin Professor, House Master of the Boys’ Dormitory, and advisor for the dormitory society Delta Lambda Pi. He can also be credited with helping start Centenary’s yearbook in 1904. Professor Denman had a short tenure at Centenary – from 1903 to 1910. The school became all-girls in 1910, but had the school remained co-ed it’s certain he would have been a devoted employee and friend for years to come. Hear more about his accomplishments here.
Ruth Scarborough – The first director of the Taylor Memorial Library, she worked at Centenary College from 1946 to 1982, nearly four decades! She was instrumental in the planning and design of Centenary’s library, tailoring it (no pun intended) to exactly fit the school’s needs. Ruth Scarborough was also Class Advisor for the classes of 1959 and 1966, and the 1959 yearbook was dedicated to her. Learn more about her here.
Professor Lewis Parrish – Parrish came to Centenary in 1959 and was a member of the school’s faculty for more than 3 decades. He was professor/department chair of Natural Sciences and Mathematics for several years and spearheaded a publication listing all the plantings on campus called “Trees of Centenary”. He was head of the Science Club and received grants to continue studying genetics and biology while at the college (it was still called Centenary Junior College then). He was also very active in student affairs, participating in Faculty vs. Student sports like bowling and softball and advising one of the sororities. “Trees of Centenary” is a current archival project – learn more about it here and here!