This year marks the 150th anniversary of the charter of Centenary University! To celebrate, the blog will be highlighting past posts about Centenary’s history.
When Reverend Vancleve proposed the location for the new school he also predicted his friend would be the first president – and the friend turned him down! The friend was Reverend Dr. George H. Whitney, who did accept the presidency a few years later and became one of Centenary’s most dedicated agents. Whitney and the Board of Trustees worked tirelessly to raise funds for the institution and looked forward to seeing it on its opening day.
The dedication ceremony was held September 9th, 1874 and brought an estimated 5000 people to Hackettstown. After the dedication, lunch, and President Whitney’s inaugural address, the new students were registered for classes. Then came dinner and the first chapel service. Then came the time for the students to dedicate themselves to learning, and the staff to dedicate themselves to encouraging learning.